The Speaking Center, housed in the Rhetoric Department in Rooms 410, 412, and 414 EPB, offers quality, one-on-one and small group tutoring and consultation to students and instructors on campus who would like to work on any aspect of oral communication.
We work with a range of students from many disciplines on such issues as:
- effective participation in class discussions
- becoming comfortable with casual conversation in and out of class
- crafting and delivering oral presentations
- understanding unfamiliar cultural references
- interview skills
- creative performances
- speech anxiety
We also work with instructors on:
- crafting clear assignments
- fostering classroom presence
- ensuring that all students can access their reading assignments
- going on the job market
- delivering poster and conference presentations
You may reserve a maximum of three 25 minute appointments each week (only two of these may be consecutive). Appointments are reserved on-line starting the first day of a new semester. Appointments are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.